Thursday, December 23, 2010

"But I have promises to keep"

Last night I met a friend who had been living in Saudi Arabia since December 2005, last time we met on December 19, 2005. He never returned home in these long five years. What are you feeling now? , what have you achieved in these 5 years? I welcomed him with a bombardment of silly questions. I am so sad to meet him after so long without achieving the prosperity which he promised to his family in turn of the long absence. But he seemed to be very satisfied with himself and said that he had performed Hajj twice and many Umra's . "Money is not everything my dear friend" He told me. It was a snowy evening of December when he last met me on the beautiful hill station of Kashmir. I asked him " why are you going to ruin your life in foreign when you can make a respectable living for yourself  here?" He repeated the beautiful line of frost's poem (we used to sing in the school days) “Because I have promises to keep". He did not stop at the woods on that snowy evening as he had to earn more money to keep his promises. Now he has learndt in five long years that money is not everything but i am standing at the other side of the bridge now. "Money is very important my dear" I explained, your mother, brothers and specially fiancé' whom you had promised, are anxiously waiting for you. Now he is going back to enjoy those snowy evenings and cold nights, but would he? I am wondering since his departure to home,as I never understood how important is money and other materialistic things to enjoy the life on the snowy evenings in cold winter?

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sounds the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.


Robert Frost

4 comments:

Thinking said...

hmm...yes...Indeed...nobody knows that whether money is important to have good/happy life with your family or not?

But I think...no one at hs dead bed ever regret on not earning more money...

Most of the regrets are not spending time with family or not having a good family...

Nice post by the way and nice poem too.

Akhtar Wasim Dar said...

Good post and the lovely Frost poem, I just adore his poetry….

Shahid Majeed said...

Thinking
These were the random thought coming in my mind again and again, but I think no one cany deny the fact that everything has its own place and importance. Thanks for sharing your views and appreciation.

Shahid Majeed said...

Akhtar saheb

This is one of the best English poems,I have read. I first read it in our text book of English in SSC. I am glad to see literature loving people like you around.